WAYNE SMITH, PE – DWSmith Design Group, Inc.
Education: BS, Civil Engineering, 1980, Georgia Institute of Technology
Wayne has 35 years of experience in engineering, transportation, land use planning, zoning, and development issues related to public and private projects. Having worked for state and local government as well as private consulting firms, Wayne has seen planning and related issues from all perspectives and his understanding of the various stakeholders and their unique perspectives serves to assist in achieving meaningful and workable solutions. He has led or contributed to studies including county transportation plans, local conservation subdivision ordinances, creation and implementation of new zoning classifications, technical review and assistance for new Unified Land Development Ordinances and feasibility/implementation analysis for proposed zoning ordinances. His past experiences in state and local government also provide him with a background in policy development, legislation and program management. Wayne has managed many complex projects for both public and private clients, being responsible for all aspects of job control, client coordination, public agency involvement and management of staff resources. He frequently represents clients through presentations at various public forums.
- Stockbridge LCI: Wayne served in the areas of local outreach, land use and transportation plan review, and implementation strategy for the consultant team lead by Tunnel Spangler Walsh. His role also included coordination with stakeholders, City staff and elected officials throughout the project.
- Hampton LCI: Wayne served in the areas of local outreach, land use and transportation plan review, and implementation strategy for the consultant team lead by Tunnel Spangler Walsh. His role also included coordination with stakeholders, City staff and elected officials throughout the project.
- West Griffin LCI: Wayne served as local liaison for the consultant team for the West Griffin LCI and Partial Comp. Plan Update projects. In this role, Wayne communicated directly with staff and key stakeholders throughout the project to address concerns and keep the project on target. Wayne also made presentations to the City Commissioners at various stages during the project to solicit input and answer questions. Wayne also assisted in all public information meetings.
- Spalding County Partial Comp Plan Update:Wayne served as local liaison for the consultant team. In this role, Wayne communicated directly with staff and elected officials and key stakeholders throughout the project. Wayne assisted in all public information meetings and made project presentations at key stages to solicit input and address concerns.
- Henry County: Wayne served as local liaison for the consultant team for the Joint Cities-County Comprehensive Transportation Plan project. The recently adopted Plan establishes the framework for analyzing and prioritizing all future transportation projects for the County and all four municipalities. The Plan also intends to provide guidance for preparing capital improvement programs and budgets. In this role, Wayne assisted City and County staff, elected officials and the public in addressing the challenges of developing and implementing this broad new initiative.
- Henry County Unified Land Development Ordinance: Wayne and his firm served as Technical Consultant to the Henry Council for Quality Growth. In this capacity Wayne performed technical review and analysis of the draft Unified Land Development Ordinance (ULDO) as the County sought to combine all applicable zoning and development ordinances into one document and to provide significant updates in many areas. This effort involved direct coordination with County staff in making recommendations and assisting in clarifying and updating all proposed codes.
- Butts County:Wayne serves as on-call consultant County Engineer for various engineering and planning issues. In this role, Wayne has provided technical analysis and content for the proposed creation of a Unified Development Ordinance (UDO) which is slated for presentation in June 2015. Wayne also provided technical review and input for the Interstate 75 Corridor Overlay district. This review included the ordinance and the associated Site and Architectural Design Guidelines.
- City of Stockbridge & Locust Grove: Wayne and his firm served as planning consultant to the City of Stockbridge and City of Locust Grove in their creation and adoption of a Conservation Subdivision ordinance. In addition to providing technical guidance in the drafting of the new ordinance, the firm provided feasibility analysis of how the ordinance would be implemented on select parcels to serve as an example for the Mayor and Council to review prior to adoption.